Moving On is St Matthew’s new programme for the 18 – 30 year olds we work with. Linked to our Elders’ programme, this is particularly aimed at some of the young people in our area who don’t want to work with other services, but who know and trust St Matthew’s.
For this programme, we’re looking to work with young men who aren’t in education, employment and training or who have a history of offending. Those taking part in Moving On will be offered free football and coaching sessions, during which they will be offered one-to-one mentoring and support. Two former gang members who are now SMP coaches and also working in the building trade will be on hand to offer guidance and advice. Moving On participants will have the opportunity to take part in F.A coaching courses and will be offered support with their driving theory tests. There will also be volunteering opportunities available. We will be working in partnership with the London Construction Academy, an organisation which delivers training and employment, so that participants can access the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) training and get their CSCS card.
Staff at St Matthew’s will be able to help people out with access to the internet and may even be able to provide laptops. The programme is being funded by our long-term supporters, the Walcot Foundation.
The SMP moving on project is ideal for those wanting to take the next step in their lives but need a bit of help along the way. We have over 18 years’ experience of working with young people and supporting them through life’s transitions. What’s more many of our staff are ex-participants of our programmes, so we know what is needed to help people who want to move on in their lives. We offer young people who are looking to get into work or education the chance to be part of a supportive community that provides two pathways into work based around football coaching and construction.
What’s on offer:
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) training with the London Construction Academy.
- Fire and Traffic Marshal Certificates.
- DVSA Theory Test.
- Driving lessons.
- CBT 125cc motorcycle or scooter training.
- FA Introduction to Coaching Football and UEFA C qualifications.
- Football coaching volunteering opportunities.
- Paid part-time coaching opportunities for those who prove themselves.
- Opportunities to join our SMFC Senior’s Sunday league team set up and benefit even more from being part of the SMP football community.